Rowena: A Brief History

Fae Day RowToday I feel that I should give you a bit more of my background, and a better look in general at where I come from. I figure that anyone new to me and my life that may be reading this blog might benefit knowing a bit more about my history.

I was born and grew up in a small town (or a few) in central Pennsylvania. Raised mostly by my aunt and my grandmother, in high school I managed to carve out a niche for myself in music and theatre. I sang in the high school chorus and honors choir and played trombone and baritone for the band (as well as marched on the baritone line with the Reading Buccaneers Drum & Bugle Corps for a summer). I enjoyed playing small roles in just about every play the high school put on. I loved immensely taking dance classes at a local studio on and off for ten plus years.

I also found myself very much an “outcast” throughout high school because I was very independent, and didn’t care much for most of the fads and fashions that ran wild through the halls of school. Most likely also a factor was the low budget we lived on while I was in school. Add to that the fact that just before high school, I had decided to follow a different belief system than most. Of all the things I’d been exposed to through my short life, a Pagan belief is the one that most spoke to me, and to this day that still holds true. So, I gathered about me a small group of friends which would prove themselves to be most invaluable to me throughout the trials and tribulations of high school, and who have proven themselves even now that we are scattered to the winds, later in life.

After high school, I worked at Arby’s as a crew member, then shift manager for about a year and a half. At that point, I’d made the decision to go into a less-messy business, and got a job as a floating teller for a local bank. For a while I moved from bank to bank filling positions for people that were sick or on vacation until I found a favorite branch and was able to stay there for a while. But the bank business didn’t satisfy me, either.

I finally decided to apply to college at the ripe old age of twenty-one (Disclaimer: I don’t actually think that’s old, but in the world of the college freshman it’s a little older than average, so I thought that it was appropriate here). I applied, and with some luck, was accepted to Susquehanna University, where I began my studies as an English major, but after only one semester opted to change that to Theatre. For two summers while I went to college there, I worked at a local theme park, singing and dancing, and being a costume character (probably the most fun you’ll ever have at a job!). I attended classes at SU for three years, until my life took an unexpected turn.

I met my husband the day after Christmas in 2007. I was visiting with my aunt and her husband in Washington state, which is where they were located at the time due to the fact that my uncle is a Naval Officer. My husband, (from here on out known as “LT”), had been helping them build an addition on their house, and came out to dinner one night with us while I was visiting. The next morning (I learned later) he stole my phone number from my uncle’s phone in order to contact me. Everything very quickly snowballed from there. Little did I know that my life was about to make a drastic change.

In February 2008, LT took me to a Broadway show (Spring Awakening) in New York City. By the end of that week we were officially dating. At the beginning of March he took me on a five day cruise to Mexico for my birthday (a bachelor with no expensive hobbies and a steady income yields much showing off 😉 ). By the end of that week we had decided to get married. In April, on a weekend visit, he officially put a ring on my finger. In July, I got in the car with my two cats and a very good friend, and drove three thousand miles across the United States to move into my new home in Southern California. On August 1st, 2008, LT and I were married on a beach in San Diego at sunset. I found out a few weeks later that I was pregnant.

Life has a wonderful way of just shifting to a new track so suddenly, that you don’t even know how it all happened so fast.

Throughout the next three years while we lived in Southern California, I learned how hard it was to be married to a man in the military. LT was gone for up to six months at a time on a few different deployments while we lived there. I was lucky, I know, that he wasn’t gone more.

In April of 2009, our first little boy, the Monster, was born. Just prior to his birth I had applied to and been accepted at California Lutheran University. In the fall, my husband was deployed for six months, and I learned to cope with a baby and full-time college classes. I was lucky enough to have family and friends canvas the semester with their visits to help me with Monster while I studied. My husband was home in December, and in the spring of 2010, I earned my bachelor’s degree in Theatre.

Also that spring, just before my husband deployed again, I became pregnant with our second son. For a brief stint, I took up another job as a bank teller, until the Bug was born in January 2011. Realizing that there was no available child care for both of our children, I then became a stay-at-home-mom.

When the spring rolled around again, as is the life of the military family, we made a major relocation, back across the entire United States, to the east coast. Here, we’ve managed to buy a home, and take up our journey in a new place.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

WordPress Anti-Spam by WP-SpamShield